2009-05-13

my year 6 and dictionary

this morning I was doing some reading with my year 6 pupils...the text was taken from the textbook...it was about animals migration...one of the examples was the Canadian geese which travel from the northern region of Canada to Mexico every year during the summer and winter...

suddenly one of my pupils asked,

"Sir, geese tu apa?"

I told them to check for the meaning in the dictionary...

not because I don't know what it means but all my year 6 pupils have dictionaries...every one of them...it's their own initiative to buy them before the start of this year...and I want them to make full use of it...don't depend on me so much like the other classes...

then I asked them,

"ok, siapa dapat apa maksud geese?"

one of the front seater replied fastly (they always compete to see who answer first)

"lihat"

I looked at him trying to guess what word he was actually looking at

"apa hal la maksud geese = lihat"

I took his dictionary and searched for the word...

...

geese lihat goose

the next thing that I could remember...I was banging my head onto the wall...

no wonder every time they asked me the meaning of a word and when I told them to look for it in the dictionary, they gave me funny answers...

4 comments:

Najib Azmi said...

.........

I just came back from banging my head on the wall

Jarod Yong said...

My students also come up with the most ridiculous meanings from the dictionary.

I keep telling them that they need to refer to the context when selecting a meaning from the dictionary.
But I hit a wall there because they do not comprehend the context neither.

It'll take time.
They aint perfect.

hafiz said...

haha...it's really funny...i thought only that particular person who got it wrong...but after that i asked the whole class for the answer...and all of them were saying the same thing...who taught them how to use dictionary in the first place?? lol...

Bookworm said...

hhahahhahha